My good friend Whitney Sickler of RAWthentic Nutrition, is the reason i’m as super as I am today. She introduced me to the power of SuperFoods and why you need to get some in your diet ASAP.
She sent me a pretty extensive list a while ago about which are great for you, but more importantly…why, they’re so awesome.
About 2 months ago she sent out a newsletter about top 10 super foods. This list below is the combination of the two documents she sent lil’ol me.
…I went from #Joe2Pro practically overnight!
Top 10 SuperFoods
- The goji berry is a complete protein source containing 18 different amino acids including all 8 essential amino acids (Amino Acids are the broken down version of proteins in the body).
- They contain 21 trace minerals as well as vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 and E.
- It is 13% protein and has more iron than spinach.
- Per ounce Goji Berries have 500% more Vitamin C than oranges.
- They have 2-4 times the antioxidant content than that of blueberries and out of 8,000 herbs and foods in Chinese medicine, the Goji Berry is ranked #1!
- They are the world’s greatest anti-aging food.
- They contain the richest source of bioactive polysaccharides in the world, supporting our body’s bioactive defense mechanisms.
- It can boost immune function, improve eyesight, blood quality, increase alkalinity, vitality and provide liver protection.
- By weight, cacao has more antioxidants than red wine, blueberries, acai, pomegranate, and goji berries combined!!
- Power packed with nutrients, minerals and chemicals (also known as “bliss chemicals”), the cacao bean is one of the most chemically complex foods in the world.
- In it’s natural state cacao is high in Calcium, vitamin C (which doesn’t exist in processed chocolate AT ALL) and Iron (has 314% of the recommended amount).
- It’s the #1 antioxidant containing food in the world!
- It’s also the #1 source of chromium and magnesium. – Which also happens to be the #1 mineral/ trace mineral deficiency that American’s have.
- Maca is used for: Enhancing strength, Fertility and helping the body adapt to stress.
- It is 60% carbohydrates, 10% protein, 8% fiber and 2% fat.
- Maca is rich in essential minerals such as Selenium, Calcium, Magnesium, Iron and fatty acids.
- It contains 19 amino acids as well as polysaccharides.
- It is excellent for hormonal balance and helps with symptoms of PMS and hot flashes in menopausal women.
(Honey, Pollen, Propolis and Royal Jelly)
- Bee products are alkaline foods and are considered to be one of the most complete foods on the planet!
- It’s a rich source of protein and contains all essential amino acids.
- It contains vitamins A, B, C, D and E.
- It contains over 5,000 enzymes and thousands of phytonutrients.
- It has been shown to increase energy, strengthens the immune system, improves metabolism and improves memory.
- “Royal Jelly” is a bee secretion that is used in the nutrition of larva and is known for its complex B vitamins.
- It has vitamin B5 and B6 and is a good antibiotic and anti-inflammatory.
- It has gamma globulin, which is the protein that works to fight bacteria, viruses and toxins.
I recommend buying RAW LOCAL honey because the pollen of local honey has been exposed to local allergens, which will help build your immune tolerance come springtime. ***Raw honey hasn’t been heated or “pasteurized” therefore all of its essential nutrients are still in tact.***
- Spirulina is a cultivated micro-algae.
- Spirulina is the highest food source of protein in the world containing 70% complete protein
towering over steak, which consists of only 25% protein once it is cooked.
- It is a rich source of GLA (omega-6 fatty acids), which helps to reduce inflammation, and rejuvenates our cells.
- Contains EPA and DHA (omega-3 fatty acids) which many people get from fish. – However, fish don’t naturally produce these fatty acids in their bodies, but rather get them from algae or Spirulina.
- Spirulina contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, C, D and E.
- Spirulina is also a rich source of Potassium, Calcium, Chromium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Selenium, Sodium, and Zinc.
- It has 58 times the iron of raw spinach and 28 times that of raw beef liver.
- It promotes the growth of stem cells, which develop into red and white blood cells with in our bone marrow.
- It helps in increasing the oxygen carrying capacity of our blood and improves the body’s immune response.
- It is a rich source of Chlorophyll (chlorophyll is almost identical to hemoglobin, which is the molecule that transports the blood in our systems. Our bodies can recognize the chlorophyll and use it to clean the blood and protect our DNA from aging).
- It contains more beta-carotene than any other whole food and is the richest source of natural antioxidants of any whole food source.
Take spirulina in the capsule/pill form because the flavor can be pretty nasty.
AFA Blue-Green Algae
- Blue-Green Algae is a phyto-plankton and contains virtually every nutrient.
- It contains 60% complete protein profile and a more complete amino acid profile than beef or soybeans.
- It has one of the best known food sources of beta-carotene, B-vitamins and chlorophyll.
- It improves brain functions, memory, the immune system, and helps with viruses, colds, and the flu.
- Marine Phytoplankton has every mineral known to man!
- It’s a complete protein
- High in Omega 3,6,7 and 9
- Is extremely high in chlorophyll (which increases the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood).
- This phytoplankton enhances performance and endurance
- Improves skin
- Improves Eyesight
- Improves Immune function
- Improves Circulation
- Improves Hearth health
- Relieves symptoms of heartburn and can improve our memory!
- Aloe vera is one of the most nutritious vegetables on the planet.
- The gel inside of the leaves contains polysaccharides (long chain sugars), which support a strong immune system.
- The gel also contains vitamin A, C, E, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, Selenium, Chromium, antioxidants, fiber, amino acids, enzymes and sterols (sterols are a micro-nutrient that can help reduce the risk of arteriosclerosis).
- Raw, fresh Aloe Vera has also been shown to normalize blood sugar (a benefit for diabetics).
I like to cut the gel out and blend it into my super food smoothie. You can use the rest of the leaf as a moisturizer.
The hempseed contains 10 essential amino acids making it a complete protein.
Due to its similar cellular structure, this seed is an excellent source of highly digestible protein.
This seed also contains the perfect blend of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
(Oil, Water, and Meat)
- Contains medium-chain fatty acids (saturated fat), which are digested more easily and utilized by the body differently than vegetable oil.- It will actually speed up metabolism!
- Coconut oil supports healthy metabolic function and acts as an anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal agent.
- Coconut oil is one of the very best oils for resisting heat-carcinogens (greater temperature resistance when cooking than all other plant-based oils). – If you’re going to use oil for cooking, this is the one!
- …And no, it does not make your eggs taste like coconuts.
- Make sure you get the “raw organic” version if you can.
How super do you think you’ll feel after adding some of these to your everyday meals?!
A word from Whit,
How to incorporate superfoods into your daily nutrition….
Superfoods can be used in a variety of ways. From skin care, to desserts and main dishes. My favorite way to add these delicious, super nutritious foods into my diet is in a SUPERFOOD SMOOTHIE.
Smoothies are quick and easy to prepare and provide your tissues and cells with rapid nutrients.
This recipe can be altered in a few different ways. For a great breakfast treat, try adding this to your oatmeal.
Rich Thaw has experimented with adding goji berries, maca, and cacao for an even more nutritious “cinnamon roll”.
Get creative and have fun!